If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (914) 358-9000

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Can I use bleach to clean mold?

5/4/2021 (Permalink)

A Moldy Situation written on orange and green background A Moldy Situation written on orange and green background
Can I use bleach to clean mold?

What exactly is bleach? Most people have a bottle of bleach as a staple of household cleaning items, which contains 5.0% NaOCl. Bleach is used for whitening and disinfecting. Household bleach is made up of 90% water. As we know, mold LOVES water. This is why you shouldn’t use bleach to clean mold. Also, if you do happen to spray some Clorox on a moldy patch, make sure the surface is a hard, non-porous material such as a tile.

When it comes to porous materials, such as wood, the bleach will actually worsen the situation. It may whiten the outer surface, but the water will soak inside through the pores and actually enable more mold to grow. That is why mold should not be cleaned, but rather removed. If you find you have a bit of mold growing on a surface you should cut that surface out, making sure that there is no more mold remaining. If even a little bit is left over it will start to grow again. Make sure to keep humidity levels low and keep an eye out on the moisture levels.

If you notice mold growing in the bathroom, keep the fan on or a window open while showering as well as whipping down the tiles and ceilings afterwards. This will help prevent mold growth.

If you happen to stumble on mold and not know how to handle it, leave it to the professionals! Our technicians are highly trained and will remove mold quickly and safely. 

So give us a call today at (914) 358-9000!

Other News

View Recent Posts