Water Damage Response Tips for Property Owners
Even small water damages have the potential to cause serious structural and indoor air quality issues over time. The key to avoiding costly future restoration is to handle every water problem as a real threat to your property. The two primary components of a proper water restoration are: 1) fast action; and 2) thorough drying.
- Identify the source of water and take immediate steps to stop further intrusion.
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and other table top items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions for even drying.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and carpet.
- Remove Oriental rugs or other colored rugs from wet wall-to-wall carpets.
- Do not leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpets or floors.
- Avoid the use of all electrically-powered devices while standing on wet carpets or floors.
If you have any questions or need to help ensure your property is drying properly, contact SERVPRO of Tarrytown/Elmsford at (914) 358-9000.